Summer Berries with Cumin Meringues and Crème Fraîche
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This recipe combines antioxidant-packed summer berries with an easy-to-make, protein-rich meringue. A touch of cumin gives the meringues an exotic earthiness, but they're equally delicious without the spice.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground cumin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 4 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) mixed berries, such as raspberries, blackberries and quartered strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium stainless steel bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Add the kosher salt, cream of tartar and cumin and beat until the egg whites hold soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat until firm, glossy peaks form. Drop the egg white mixture in evenly spaced 2-tablespoon-size mounds on the parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Bake the meringues for 4 hours, until they are crisp but not browned. Let cool completely at room temperature. Serve the cumin meringues with the mixed berries and crème fraîche.
One Serving 334 cal, 7 gm fat, 3.5 gm sat fat, 68 gm carb, 7.9 gm fiber.
Variation In place of the cumin, try making the meringues with ground coriander or cardamom.