- 6 garlic cloves
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 pounds boneless leg of venison or lamb in large trimmed pieces, sliced across the grain 1/4 inch thick
- Stuffed Tandoori Potatoes
How to make this recipe
In a mini-processor, combine the garlic and ginger and puree until fairly smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the yogurt, cream, lemon juice, cayenne, black pepper, garam masala and caraway seeds. Add the meat and turn to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and oil it lightly. Using a rubber spatula, scrape some of the marinade off the meat. Thread the venison onto 2 parallel skewers, keeping the meat slices as flat as possible. Season the meat with the salt and grill over a hot fire until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Serve hot with the Stuffed Tandoori Potatoes.
Indian spices can unravel the flavors of heavy reds, so pick a light, fruity wine that can be served cool, such as Beaujolais-Villages, as a refreshing foil to the spicy meat and rich potatoes.