- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 8 leaves), stems removed, sliced into 1-inch
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
How to make this recipe
Warm the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat for a minute, then add the onion. Sauté the onion until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and jalapeño and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the ground beef and seasonings and cook until mostly done, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently so the ground beef doesn’t clump.
Add the collard greens and tomatoes and sauté until the collard greens are wilted, about 4 minutes. Stir everything around carefully as it cooks; be sure to do this step gently to avoid mushing the tomatoes.
Add the lemon juice and season to taste by adding salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately.