- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sugar snap peas, halved crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves
- Sea salt
In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onion and bell pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the soffrito is tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Add the snap peas and cook over high heat just until they are bright green, about 2 minutes. Add the soffrito and cook until the snap peas are lightly browned in spots, about 2 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and 1/4 cup of water and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes longer. Add the torn mint and season with salt. Serve hot or at room temperature.