© John Kernick
Sugar Snap Peas with Mint and Warm Coconut Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Edward Lee creates an unusual dressing here, made with unsweetened coconut milk and fresh lemon juice. It's deliciously sweet and tangy.
Slideshow: More Pea Recipes
- 1 blood or navel orange
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- Chopped mint and freshly cracked pepper, for garnish
- Using a sharp knife, peel the orange, making sure to remove all of the bitter white pith. Halve the orange lengthwise and slice it crosswise 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the slices to a small bowl.
- In a medium skillet, heat the sesame oil. Add the sugar snap peas in a single layer and cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until nicely charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the peas to a medium bowl and season lightly with salt.
- Add the coconut milk, lemon juice and sugar to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until the dressing is thickened, 5 minutes. Spoon the dressing onto plates and top with the sugar snaps and orange slices. Garnish with mint and pepper and serve warm.