- One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- One 1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh hot red chile, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- One 2-pound, unpeeled butternut or kabocha squash—washed, halved, seeded
and cut into 2-inch pieces
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large roasting pan, stir together the coconut milk, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, chile, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg. Add the squash and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, until the squash is almost tender.
Increase the oven temperature to 425°. Uncover the pan. Turn the squash pieces over and season with salt. Roast on the top shelf for 15 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450° and roast for about 15 minutes longer, until the squash is richly glazed. Transfer the squash to a platter with a slotted spoon. Season the sauce with salt, spoon it over the squash and serve.