© John Kernick
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: makes 5 cups
“I like to take something that’s generally ordinary and do it really well,” Bronson van Wyck says about these nuts. “With cinnamon, salt and sugar, they hit a lot of spots on the tongue.”
Slideshow: Deliciously Crunchy Nut Recipes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups raw cashews (9 ounces)
- 2 cups raw almonds (9 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar with the salt, chile powder, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. In a large bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Add the cashews, almonds and spiced sugar and toss. Spread out the nuts on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, stirring once, until browned. Let the nuts cool on the baking sheet, stirring occasionally.
Make Ahead The spiced nuts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.