Stuffed Shiitake Mushrooms
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 first course servings
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili-garlic sauce
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup minced water chestnuts
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Twelve 3-inch shiitake mushrooms with rounded caps, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a small bowl, blend the soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce and 2 teaspoons of the ginger.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the pork with the water chestnuts, scallions, cornstarch, garlic, salt, pepper and the remaining 2 teaspoons of ginger. Fill the mushroom caps with the pork mixture.
- In a very large, ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the shiitake, pork side down, and cook over high heat until browned, 3 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until the pork is cooked. Serve with the dipping sauce.
A fruity rosé sparkling wine from California will complement the Asian flavors here.