Stuffed Pork Chops with Onion and Shiitake
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Tenderloin is the leanest cut of pork, but loin chops are not far behind5-ounce ones have about 7 grams of fat each. The simple, earthy onion-shiitake stuffing helps keep the chops juicy.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon minced rosemary
- Four 5-ounce boneless pork chops (1-inch thick), butterflied
- 8 large sage leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, scallions and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until just softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender and golden, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the parsley, thyme and rosemary; let cool slightly.
- On a work surface, open the butterflied pork chops and season the inside with salt and pepper. Place a sage leaf on each side of each chop. Stuff with the mushroom mixture and close. Using four 8-inch lengths of kitchen string, tie up each pork chop across the middle.
- Wipe out the skillet. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Season the chops with salt and pepper; cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover the skillet and bake the chops until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the chops to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Return the skillet to high heat and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Untie the chops and transfer them to plates. Spoon the sauce on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.