Stuffed Pizza Pie with Escarole
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
Two pounds of prepared pizza dough can be used instead of homemade dough.
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Two 1-pound heads of escarole, separated into leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup brine-cured black olives (3 ounces), halved and pitted
- 4 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pure olive oil, for brushing
- In a small bowl, combine the water with the yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour with the salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir gently until a rough dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently until smooth. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Cook the escarole in a large pot of boiling salted water for 4 minutes; drain and rinse under cold water. Squeeze the escarole dry, then chop coarsely.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Toast the pine nuts in a pie pan for 4 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Add the escarole, toasted pine nuts, olives and anchovies and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then spread the filling on a large plate to cool.
- Lightly oil a 12-inch-round pizza or tart pan. Punch down the dough and cut it in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of the dough 1/4 inch thick. Trim it into a 12-inch round; let rise for 10 minutes. Roll the other dough half into a 13-inch round 1/4 inch thick. Transfer the larger round to the pizza pan, draping it evenly over the sides.
- Spread the escarole filling evenly over the dough in the pan. Fold the remaining round in half and set it on the escarole filling, unfolding it to cover the top. Crimp the edges of the pie to seal. Using a fork, prick the top of the pizza all over. Brush with pure olive oil and bake in the center of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the pizza to a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.