Striped Bass with Spiced Vegetables and Cilantro Dressing
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Asked what he'd pair with the clean, fresh Anderson Valley Poleeko Gold, an American pale ale—and one of his favorite beers on the trip—Sang Yoon suggests this combination of grilled fish with roasted cherry tomatoes, potatoes and cauliflower tossed in fragrant cumin-coriander butter. "My friend James Bygrave has a boat with a killer grill. We always fire it up and make this fish after going out on the water," he says.
- Seeds from 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- One 1-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 12 fingerling potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 head cauliflower (10 ounces), separated into 1-inch florets
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Four 6-ounce striped bass fillets, with skin (about 3/4 inch thick)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Cilantro Dressing
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small skillet, toast the cardamom, cumin, coriander and caraway seeds and black peppercorns over moderate heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Let cool. Transfer the spices to a mortar and grind to a powder. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the butter, garlic and ginger.
- Put the potatoes on one side of a large, rimmed baking sheet and the cauliflower on the other. Toss each vegetable with one-third of the spiced butter, spread in an even layer and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the upper third of the oven for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Light a grill. Put the beans on one side of the baking sheet, the tomatoes on the other and toss each with half of the remaining butter. Roast in the oven until tender, 5 minutes for the tomatoes and 10 for the green beans. Mix the tomatoes and beans with the other roasted vegetables; cover and keep warm.
- Drizzle the bass with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, skin side down, over high heat until the skin is crisp, 4 minutes. Turn the fish and grill until just cooked through, 5 minutes longer. Transfer to plates, pile the vegetables alongside and serve with the Cilantro Dressing.