© Akiko & Pierre
Strawberry, Tomato and Fennel Gazpacho
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Slideshow: More Chilled Soups
- One 7-inch piece of baguette, crust removed
- 2 pounds tomatoes, 2 tablespoons finely diced, the rest chopped
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and 2 tablespoons finely diced, the rest chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, 2 tablespoons finely diced, the rest chopped
- 1/4 medium fennel bulb, 2 tablespoons finely diced, the rest thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sparkling mineral water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes. (You will need about 1 cup.) Scatter the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes, or until crisp. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, strawberries and bell pepper with the sliced fennel, mineral water, garlic and bread cubes and, working in 2 batches, puree in a food processor. Strain the gazpacho through a fine sieve set over another large bowl. Season the gazpacho with salt. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes, or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, strawberries, pepper and fennel. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Spoon the diced mixture into shallow soup bowls and ladle the gazpacho on top. Drizzle each bowl of soup with olive oil and serve.
Make Ahead The gazpacho and the diced-vegetable garnish can be refrigerated separately for up to 6 hours.