Strawberry Star Anise Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 3/4 CUP
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 2 pints strawberries, thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau
- 2 whole star anise pods
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and crush lightly with a potato masher. Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat until the strawberries lose their bright red color, about 2 minutes. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl, pressing hard on the solids to extract as much of the juice as possible; refrigerate until chilled. Transfer to a pitcher and serve with the Strawberry Shortcake.
Serve WithStrawberry Shortcake.