© Tara Fisher
Strawberry Meringue Roulade with Raspberry Sauce
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
Rachel Allen’s fantastic meringue is rolled around strawberries and sweet, spiked whipped cream.
Slideshow: Meringue Recipes
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups superfine sugar
- 3/4 pound fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1/2 pound strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the long sides. Lightly brush the foil and sides of the pan with vegetable oil.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed to soft peaks. Beat in 1 cup of the superfine sugar at high speed until the whites are stiff, 2 to 3 minutes. Spread the meringue evenly in the pan. Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes, until lightly colored and springy. Using the foil, transfer the meringue to a rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the raspberries, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 cup of superfine sugar until smooth; strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Wipe out the bowl of the mixer. Add the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and kirsch and beat until the cream forms soft peaks.
- Turn the meringue so a long side is facing you. Spread the whipped cream over the meringue, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border on the long side nearest you. Arrange the strawberries on top, pressing them into the cream. Starting at the long side nearest you, and using the foil, carefully roll up the meringue jelly roll–style; the top will crack. Wrap the roulade in the foil and refrigerate until chilled, at least 45 minutes or up to 5 hours. Unwrap the roulade and cut into 1-inch-thick slices. Serve with the raspberry sauce.