- 1 1/2 pints medium strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 4 mint leaves, finely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with 2 teaspoons of the sugar and let stand at room temperature.
- Butter a large baking sheet. In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar; pulse until blended. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, mix the eggs with the buttermilk and add to the dry ingredients; pulse just until the dough comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough until smooth, then roll it out to a large square 1 inch thick. Using a 1 1/2-inch round pastry cutter, cut out 16 biscuits; reroll the scraps if necessary. Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheet and bake in the upper third of the oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer the biscuits to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut the biscuits in half. Set 2 bottom halves on each plate. Top with strawberry slices, the biscuit tops and a dollop of crème fraîche. Drizzle with honey and any accumulated strawberry juice. Garnish with the mint and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.