© Stephanie Shih
Strawberry and Sweet Wine Gelées with Candied Pistachios
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR PLUS 6 HR CHILLING
- SERVINGS: 6
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 3 pints strawberries, 2 pints coarsely chopped and 1 pint thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sweet dessert wine, such as late-harvest Riesling
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chopped strawberries with the sugar and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Let the strawberries stand until they release their liquid, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath and set a medium bowl in it.
- Add the water to the crushed strawberries and bring to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat until the strawberries are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the dessert wine and strain through a fine sieve set over the bowl in the ice bath, pressing lightly on the solids. Stir occasionally until chilled, about 5 minutes. Wipe out the saucepan and return the strawberry liquid to it. Sprinkle the gelatin over the strawberry liquid and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Set six 1/2-cup ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Spoon the sliced strawberries into the ramekins. Cook the strawberry liquid over moderate heat just until very warm and the gelatin has completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Ladle the liquid over the sliced strawberries and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°. On a small, lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet, toss the pistachios with the maple syrup until coated. Spread the pistachios in an even layer and bake for 3 minutes, or until glossy. Let cool completely, then coarsely chop the nuts.
- To unmold the gelées, run a thin knife around the inside of the ramekins. Dip each ramekin in a bowl of boiling water for 5 seconds, then invert the ramekins onto plates to release the gelées. Sprinkle the strawberry gelées with the candied pistachios and serve.
Make AheadThe candied pistachios can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The gelées can be refrigerated for up to 2 days in their ramekins. Unmold the gelées just before serving.