Strawberry and Rhubarb Pandowdy
- SERVINGS: 6
With strips of pastry covering the fruit, this is a personal interpretation of a pandowdy.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, peeled if stringy and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pint strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon crystallized sugar or coarsely crushed sugar cubes
- Put the flour in a bowl and add the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Cut or rub in the butter and cream cheese just until a dough is formed. Pat into a square, wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a shallow 2-quart baking dish, toss the rhubarb with the strawberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and ginger.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips. Lay the strips of dough over the fruit, anchoring them to the sides of the dish; trim if necessary. Sprinkle the strips with the crystallized sugar. Set the dish on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.