Stracciatella with Spinach
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
"My grandmother felt that cooking was her life. She used to come over and whip up a batch of stracciatella," says Linda Meyers of this classic Italian chicken soup with spinach and delicate bits of egg. "Tasting it brings back all these memories of her."
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, parsley, nutmeg and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir in the 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over moderately high heat. Vigorously whisk in the eggs, then stir in the spinach. Cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until the egg and spinach are cooked, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into small bowls and serve with more cheese.
Citrusy, minerally Sauvignon Blanc.