- 2 1/2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Put two 8-inch cast-iron skillets or round cake pans in the oven to heat up. In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil with the eggs and milk. Using a flexible spatula, gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just blended; do not overmix.
- In each hot skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter, swirling to coat the bottoms and sides. Divide the batter between the skillets and shake to smooth the tops. Bake in the center of the oven for 35 minutes, until springy when lightly pressed in the center. Transfer the corn breads in the pans to racks to cool. Turn them out onto a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and keep at room temperature overnight.
The corn breads can be made several days ahead and refrigerated, or frozen for up to 1 month.