© Kana Okada
Stir-Fried Vegetables with Lemongrass
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 large stalks of fresh lemongrass, tender inner white bulb only, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (4 cups)
- 12 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- Rice, for serving
- In a mini food processor, finely chop the lemongrass.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the lemongrass and shallots and stir-fry over high heat until the shallots are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower, asparagus, carrots and red bell pepper along with 1/2 cup of the water; cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, soy sauce and the remaining 1/4 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and season with pepper. Stir in the basil and bean sprouts. Transfer the stir-fried vegetables to bowls and serve with rice.
Vibrant, medium-bodied Southern Italian white.