Stir-Fried Udon Noodles
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
For a Taste of: Japan
Try this book: Takashi's Noodles
In this cookbook, top Chicago chef Takashi Yagihashi divulges his best recipes for ramen, soba, udon, rice noodles and more.
More Fast Asian Dishes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced on the bias
- 7 ounces enoki mushrooms
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dried wood ear mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 18 ounces frozen precooked udon noodles, thawed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Add the shrimp and stir-fry over moderately high heat until curled, 2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the skillet. Add the chicken and stir-fry until white throughout, 3 minutes; transfer to the plate with the shrimp.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the cabbage, onion, carrot and the mushrooms and stir-fry for 4 minutes. Add the stock, soy sauce, sesame oil, shrimp and chicken; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the udon in a pot of boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain and add to the skillet. Stir-fry over high heat until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with scallions and serve.
Crisp, citrus-inflected Italian Pinot Bianco.