- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced bacon, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 Thai bird chiles or 4 serrano chiles
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat has been rendered. Spoon off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet. Stir in the garlic and whole chiles and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are pink and curled, about 3 minutes. Add the vermouth and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in the mint, transfer to plates and serve.
Aromatic, faintly sweet Riesling.