- 8 cups water
- 10 ounces dried rice noodles (about 1/3 inch wide)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese chili oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound kohlrabipeeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup chopped basil
How to make this recipe
Bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the rice noodles and let soak until the noodles are tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, white wine, sugar and chili oil.
In a large skillet or a wok with a handle, heat the oil. Add the kohlrabi and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 3 minutes. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the red pepper and garlic and stir-fry until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs; stir-fry until just set, about 30 seconds.
Add the rice noodles, bean sprouts, scallions, basil and the soy sauce mixture. Cook over moderately low heat, tossing gently, until the noodles are heated through and coated with sauce, about 1 minute. Transfer the noodles to plates or bowls and serve at once.