- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp (about 12 small shrimp; see Note)
- 2 slices of thick-cut bacon (about 2 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds green or napa cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, soak the shrimp in water for 30 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop the shrimp. In a mortar, pound the shrimp until crumbled.
- In a wok or large skillet, stir-fry the bacon over moderate heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and dried shrimp and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the cabbage, sugar and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and stir-fry until the cabbage starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Season the cabbage with salt and pepper and serve.
Dried shrimp are available at Asian markets.