- 2 cups short-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sesame-chili oil
- One 1 1/2-pound head Napa cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 sheets toasted Nori seaweed
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until tender, about 30 minutes; drain and set aside.
Heat the sesame chili oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat. Add the shredded cabbage and season with salt and black pepper. Cook over high heat until softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, sliced scallions, and butter to the pan and stir-fry until heated through, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Taste to adjust for seasonings. Transfer to plates, top with toasted and crumbled nori, and serve right away.
The brown rice can be made in advance up to 3 days.