Stir-Fried Beef with Oven-Fried Potatoes
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
The soy sauce and the stir-frying technique used for this dish, lomito saltado, reflect the strong Chinese influences on Peru. Peruvians see potatoes (traditionally deep-fried) as a vegetable rather than as a starch, so white rice is a common accompaniment.
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium red onions, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 4 jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes—halved, seeded and cut into eighths
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Oven-Fried Potatoes
- In a large bowl, toss the beef tenderloin with the pepper, cumin and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce. In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil until shimmering. Working in batches, add the beef strips and stir-fry over high heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer the beef to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 30 seconds. Add the onions and stir-fry until softened, 5 minutes. Add the jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the vegetables to the beef in the bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and return the beef and vegetables to the skillet. Add the wine, stock and the remaining 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the cilantro and Oven-Fried Potatoes and toss gently. Transfer to a platter and serve.
A chilled fruity rosé from Chile will cool the heat of the chiles in this stir-fried beef.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.