Stir-fried Baby Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushrooms
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Charles Phan prefers tender baby bok choy but if you can only find mature heads, separate the leaves from the stems, cut the stems into 1 1/2-inch pieces and stir-fry them separately so the leaves don't overcook.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds baby bok choy, leaves separated from the stems
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 3/4 cup Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce
- In a large skillet or a wok, heat the oil until small puffs of smoke begin to appear. Add the garlic and stir-fry over high heat for 10 seconds. Add the shiitake and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the bok choy and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add the Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce and cook until the bok choy is tender but still bright green and the sauce is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes longer. Serve hot.