Stir-Fried Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms
- SERVINGS: 8
Serving mushrooms whole, according to Asian tradition, is a sign of wealth. For a more pronounced mushroom flavor, replace the fresh shiitake mushrooms with 1/4 pound dried shiitakes that have been soaked in hot water until tender, then drained and stemmed.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound small fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 pounds baby bok choy
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Thai chileshalved, seeded and julienned
- Heat the vegetable and sesame oils in a wok. Add the garlic and stir-fry over high heat until golden, about 5 seconds. Add the shiitakes and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the bok choy and stir-fry until just wilted, about 5 minutes longer. Season with the fish sauce, salt and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Transfer to a platter, top with the chiles and serve.