Sticky Grilled Drumsticks with Plum Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Grace Parisi prepares a wonderfully sticky and nicely sweet glaze of fresh plums and red pepper jelly to brush over drumsticks while grilling. Hot red pepper jelly makes for a spicier glaze; sweet pepper jelly creates a milder one.
- 12 chicken drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 red or purple plums (4 ounces each), pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup hot or sweet red pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- Light a grill. Rub the chicken with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the plums and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and nearly broken down, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper jelly and mustard and bring to a boil, stirring until the jelly is melted. Carefully transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the water and puree until smooth. Season the plum sauce with salt and pepper.
- Liberally brush the plum sauce all over the chicken and grill, turning the drumsticks occasionally, until they are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Serve the drumsticks with any remaining plum sauce at the table.