- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon pure chile powder, such as ancho
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound okra, stemmed and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
How to make this recipe
- In a medium skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the minced garlic and sliced red onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chile powder, cayenne pepper, cumin seeds and turmeric and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the okra and cook for 2 minutes, tossing. Add the tomatoes and cook over high heat until they release their juices, about 1 minute. Add the water, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the okra is just tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and serve.
The stewed okra and tomatoes can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.
Steamed basmati rice.