- 1/2 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/3 cup finely diced water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Shao-Hsing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Shallot Oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in one direction until well mixed, then transfer the meat to a shallow heatproof bowl.
- Set the bowl in a steamer over boiling water and steam until the meat is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove the bowl from the steamer and sprinkle the beef with the red pepper and coriander. Serve with the lettuce leaves.
One Serving Calories 133 kcal, Total Fat 3.9 gm, Saturated Fat 1.1 gm.
A low-tannin red, such as Antinori Santa Christina Sangiovese from Italy or Montevina Terra d'Oro Barbera from California, would suit this delicate dish.