- 1/4 pound thick-sliced lean smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced crosswise with seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 1/2 pounds medium mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add the shallots and jalapeño, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the wine and ketchup and simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Increase the heat to high and add the mussels. Cover and cook, shaking the pan a few times, until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to 4 large, shallow serving bowls. Remove the casserole from the heat and stir in the lime juice, butter and cilantro. Ladle the sauce over the mussels and serve at once with bread.