Steamed Mussels with Lemon and Bay Leaf
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
This incredibly speedy recipe is from chef Cathal Armstong’s wonderful cookbook, My Irish Table. The mussels are steamed in butter and lemon juice with shallots and bay leaves, forming a flavorful broth. Be sure to serve them with crusty bread.
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 shallots, minced
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat a large pot. Add all of the ingredients except the salt, pepper and bread and cook over high heat, shaking the pan and stirring occasionally, until the mussels open, about 7 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaves and serve right away with crusty bread.
Light-bodied French white.