Steamed Littlenecks with Zucchini and Red Peppers
- SERVINGS: 4
From Jody Adams, a 1993 Best New Chef, now at Rialto in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Heat the oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the onion; cook over moderate heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the wine, water, fennel and crushed pepper. Add the clams and zucchini, cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the clams open, 7 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the clams to shallow bowls. Season the clam broth with salt and pepper and spoon over the clams. Top with the basil.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.