- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 fresh bean curd cakes (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 4 scallions, white parts quartered lengthwise, green parts cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the bean curd on a heat-proof dish in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok over high heat for about 30 seconds. Add the peanut oil and stir to coat. When a wisp of white smoke appears, add the scallions and stir-fry until bright green, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
- Stir the sauce and add it to the wok. Cook over low heat until the sauce thickens and becomes dark and glossy. Stir in the scallions. Pour the sauce over the bean curd and serve.
Oyster and soy sauces add saltiness to an otherwise mild dish, making it a good candidate for a medium-bodied, fruity white. Because the scallions add an herbal note, Sauvignon Blanc is a particularly good choice here. Look for California examples, such as Fetzer Barrel Select or Matanzas Creek.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.