© Quentin Bacon
Steamed and Seared Shellfish in Coconut Broth
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 stalks of fresh lemongrass, tops discarded, bulbs cut into 1-inch lengths, or one 2-inch strip of lemon zest
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups Le Bec-Fin Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 large sea scallops (about 6 ounces)
- 8 large shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 6 ounces)
- 8 small bok choy leaves
- Two 1 1/2 -pound cooked lobsters—shelled, tails halved lengthwise, claw meat left whole
- 2 plum tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shiitakes, shallots and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the lemongrass, basil, cilantro, Chicken Stock and clam juice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Boil over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil, season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil until almost smoking. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and sear over high heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until browned and almost cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- In a steamer over a pan of simmering water, cook the shrimp and bok choy until the shrimp are just cooked through and the boy choy is bright green, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Add the lobster tails and claws and steam until heated through, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the coconut broth to a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Put a tomato slice in each of 8 warmed soup plates. Set a scallop on each tomato slice and arrange 1 shrimp, 1 bok choy leaf and 1 lobster claw or tail half alongside. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the coconut broth into each plate and serve.
Notes One Serving Calories 126 kcal, Total Fat 5.3 gm, Saturated Fat 3 gm
The rich shellfish pairs well with a cuvée that exhibits beautiful honeyed aromatics. As an alternative, try a rosé from southern France.