Steak, Tomato and Arugula Sandwiches
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- One 1 1/2-pound boneless sirloin steak, about 1 1/4 inches thick
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices country bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of arugula, large stems trimmed
- 8 anchovy fillets
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. In a small bowl, combine the shallot and vinegar. Lightly rub the steak with some of the olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Grill or broil the steak, turning once, for 12 to 13 minutes for medium-rare meat. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice the meat.
- Brush the bread on both sides with the remaining olive oil and grill or broil until golden on both sides. Rub one side of each toast with the garlic and set 4 of the slices, garlic side up, on a work surface. Arrange the tomatoes on the toast and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the shallot vinegar over the tomatoes, and top with the arugula, steak and anchovies. Cover with the remaining toast and cut in half. Serve immediately.
Pair these sandwiches with a soft, super-fruity red, such as an Australian Shiraz.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.