- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The only time Nigel Slater ever eats beef is when it is cooked in such a way as to combine a deeply savory crust with a very pink and juicy center. This is a special occasion snack or blissful solitary supper.
Amazing Steak Recipes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Sea salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper
- Four 6-ounce strip steaks
- 2 baguettes or 4 ciabatta rolls
- Preheat a grill pan. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Grill them over moderately high heat for about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for about 5 minutes. Halve the baguettes lengthwise and cut them in half. Warm the bread in the grill pan. Spread the baguettes with 4 tablespoons of the butter. Thinly slice the meat and lay the slices in the baguettes. Brush the meat with the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and serve.
Beer A deep, roasty, dark ale, with a dry, spicy hoppiness, such as Fuller's London Porter or Sierra Nevada Porter, will play off both the rich steak and spicy mustard here.