Steak Salad with Creamy Italian Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
A perfectly grilled steak doesn't need much more than a great accompaniment, like this salad of crisp bitter greens, peppery radishes and crunchy croutons in an herb-packed dressing.
- 1 large garlic clove, thickly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds boneless sirloin, rib-eye or strip steak, 1 inch thick
- Six 1-inch-thick baguette slices
- 1 large head of escarole, tender inner leaves only, torn
- 3 endives, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick
- 6 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Light a grill. Using the flat side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic with a large pinch of salt. Transfer the paste to a bowl and whisk in the cream, mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard. Whisk in the 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a thin stream until emulsified. Add the parsley and oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the steak with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill the steak over a medium-high fire, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes for medium-rare meat. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly. Meanwhile, brush the baguette slices with olive oil and grill until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut them into cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine the escarole with the endives, radishes, avocado and bread cubes. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Transfer the salad to a large platter or plates, top with the steak and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.