- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound beef eye of round, cut into thin strips
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Steamed white rice, for serving
- 4 slices of American cheese, torn
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Generously season the meat with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a plate.
- Add the onions, garlic and a pinch each of salt and pepper to the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the peppers, mushrooms and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes longer.
- Stir the meat, beans, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and paprika into the saucepan; if the mixture is dry, stir in 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise.
- Mound the rice on plates. Top with half of the meat mixture, the American cheese and the remaining meat, then serve.
Contributed By Jamie Bissonnette Photo © Fredrika Stjarne