Steak and Eggs Benedict with Red Wine Hollandaise
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
Classic hollandaise sauce is prepared with butter, egg yolks and lemon juice. Here, Neal Fraser adds a red wine–and–port reduction to the rich sauce, which is delicious with the juicy tenderloin steak that accompanies the poached eggs.
- 1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Three 1-inch-thick beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the Cabernet and port and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Set a medium metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Put the egg yolks in the bowl and whisk over low heat until thick, about 2 minutes. Very gradually, whisk in the melted butter and whisk constantly until thick and creamy, 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the wine reduction and lemon juice in a thin stream and season with salt and pepper. Keep the hollandaise sauce warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a grill pan. Brush the steaks lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks over high heat, turning once or twice, until medium-rare, about 8 minutes. Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 large, deep skillets of water to a simmer. Crack 6 eggs into each skillet and simmer over moderately low heat until the whites are set and the yolks are runny, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the poached eggs to a plate; blot dry with paper towels.
- Arrange 2 English muffin halves on each plate. Thinly slice the steaks, arrange the meat on the muffins and season lightly with salt and pepper. Top with the poached eggs. Spoon the hollandaise on top and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.