Sriracha-and-Wasabi Deviled Eggs
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus 4 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 12
Joanne Chang's mother used to make hard-boiled eggs for dinner: She would add them to the beef or chicken she was braising in soy. This is Joanne's riff on those eggs, made spicy with hot sauce and wasabi.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 10 star anise pods
- Pinch of Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 2 1/4 teaspoons wasabi paste
- In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with cold water and bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Cover the saucepan, remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the soy sauce with the sake, star anise, chopped scallions, sugar and grated ginger. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Transfer the mixture to a heatproof bowl and let cool completely.
- Drain the water from the large saucepan and shake the pan gently to crack the eggs. Cool the eggs slightly under cold running water, then peel them under running water. Add the eggs to the soy mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the eggs for at least 4 hours.
- Drain the eggs and rinse lightly to remove any bits of scallion or ginger; pat dry. Using a slightly moistened thin, sharp knife, cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Gently pry the egg yolks into a medium bowl and mash with a fork. Stir the mayonnaise, Sriracha, wasabi and 3 tablespoons of the snipped chives into the mashed yolks. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a star or plain tip. Set the egg whites on a serving platter and pipe in the filling. Sprinkle the deviled eggs with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chives and the Chinese five-spice powder and serve.
When appetizers are a little salty, like these deviled eggs, they are especially good with a refreshing sparkling wine.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.