- 2 cups peanut oil
- 2 green plantains, peeled and sliced very thin on a mandoline or by hand
- 12 whole squid, skinned and cleaned
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups arugula leaves
- Fresh Mint and Smoked Chile Vinaigrette
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 fresh mint leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Light a grill. Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over high heat to 375°. Fry the plantain slices in batches until crisp. Drain on paper towels and reserve.
- Brush the squid with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Alternatively, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over moderately-high heat until smoking, then sauté the squid until golden on all sides. Remove from pan and cut in half or into 2 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss the squid with the mangoes, arugula and the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Heap the salad onto a large platter and garnish with the fried plantains, diced bell pepper and mint leaves.
Contributed By Bobby Flay Photo Published