- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed cherry tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds small squid—cleaned, bodies cut into 1/3-inch rings and tentacles halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup lightly packed small basil leaves
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the tomatoes, garlic and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the tomatoes just start to blister, 4 minutes. Stir in the squid and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the squid turns opaque, 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and basil. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Rosés complement the fruitiness of tomatoes. Try one from Long Island or Provence.