Squash Soup with Pepitas Two Ways
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Felip Llufriu serves this wonderfully silky squash soup with two pumpkin seed garnishes. He toasts some seeds with sugar and salt, so they're lightly candied; then he roasts and purees the rest with olive oil.
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 6 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- One 3 1/4-pound kabocha squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- Pumpkin seed oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread 1/2 cup of the pumpkin seeds in a pie plate. In another pie plate, toss the remaining 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds with the 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, the sugar and a pinch of salt. Bake the pumpkin seeds for 12 minutes, stirring once, until lightly browned and crisp; let cool completely.
- Transfer the plain roasted pumpkin seeds to a mini food processor. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil and pulse until the seeds are ground to a paste. Season with salt.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and just starting to brown, 8 minutes. Add the squash and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until the squash just begins to soften, 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, 4 minutes. Add the stock and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the squash is very tender, 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return it to the saucepan, rewarm and season with salt. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a spoonful of the pumpkin seed paste, the sugared pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil.
Try the soup with cava; its touch of sweetness is delicious with squash.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.