© David L. Reamer
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup green lentils, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and drained
- One 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the smoked paprika, cumin and coriander and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the drained lentils, tomatoes and 1 cup of water; season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils are nearly tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the squash, cover and cook over low heat until the lentils and squash are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach until wilted, then serve.
Spicy, moderately oaky Chardonnay.