Â© Lucy Schaeffer
Squash and Zucchini "Linguine" with Goat Cheese
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 3 pounds yellow squash and zucchini
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (see Note)
- In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the olive oil and add the parsley and chives.
- Using the julienne setting on a mandoline or julienne peeler, remove the outer layer of the squash and zucchini in long, thin strips. Reserve the seedy core for another use.
- Fill a bowl with ice water. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the squash and zucchini until slightly wilted, 30 seconds. Drain and transfer to the ice water to cool. Drain and pat thoroughly dry. Add the squash and zucchini to the dressing and toss to coat.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the shiitake and cook over high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the shallot, garlic and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cook until the garlic and shallot are fragrant. Add the shiitake to the squash and toss. Wipe out the skillet.
- Add the pine nuts to the skillet and toast over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Scatter the goat cheese over the squash, sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve right away.
NotesFor more information on Lake Erie Creamery, go to lakeeriecreamery.com.
Earthy, full-bodied Roussanne.