- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for patting out
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed winter squash, sweet potatoes or yams
- 2/3 cup milk, plus more for brushing
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, 4 melted and 3 softened
- 1/3 cup crumbled Stilton or other blue cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
- Cranberry sauce or relish, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, combine the squash with 2/3 cup of the milk and the melted butter. Stir the squash into the dry ingredients until a soft, wet dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface and pat it into a 10-inch disk about 1/4 inch thick. Generously dust the dough with flour. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Gather the dough scraps, pat them out into another disk and cut out 4 more rounds, using more flour if necessary.
- In a small bowl, blend the 3 tablespoons of softened butter with the Stilton. Spoon the Stilton butter onto 8 of the rounds and top with the remaining 8 rounds. Transfer the biscuits to a heavy baking sheet and brush the tops with milk. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and firm. Serve warm, with cranberry sauce.