- 1 1/2 cups whole rye berries or hulled barley
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, cover the rye berries with 2 inches of water. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight; drain and pat dry. Spread the rye berries in an even layer in a large, shallow container. Cover and let stand at room temperature until the rye berries sprout, about 48 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rye with 2 quarts of water. Bring to a simmer and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook until just tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool in the water. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Add the olive oil, sherry vinegar and shallot and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
The sprouted grains can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.