- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 6 DOZEN
These have been a specialty of Edna Lewis's for years. They're so buttery that refrigerating the cookies overnight on the baking sheets before baking helps them hold their shape, but it is not essential.
- 2 sticks ( 1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and almond extracts and beat until blended. Stir in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Press the dough through a cookie press into 2-inch-long S shapes onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake in the upper and middle third of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden on the bottom and lightly browned around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. If the cookies stick to the baking sheet, return them to the oven to soften for 1 minute.
Make Ahead The cookies can be layered between wax paper in an airtight container and kept at room temperature for 1 week or frozen for several weeks.